Shredded Chicken Tortilla Soup
There is nothing better than a hot bowl of a hearty soup for supper and this Shredded Chicken Tortilla Soup fills the bill!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups chopped zucchini, (about 2 medium or 1 large squash)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded, diced
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 14.5 ounce can unsalted fire-roasted diced tomatoes, (do not drain)
- 1 15 ounce can unsalted black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces shredded chicken, *see Gr8 Tips below
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 lime , cut into wedges
- Tortilla Chips
Heat the vegetable oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat.
Add the zucchini, onion, 1/4 cup cilantro, jalapeño, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, garlic, and bay leaves. Cook for 7 minutes.
Stir in the chili powder and ground cumin and cook for another minute.
Add the stock and canned tomatoes and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the beans, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, shredded chicken and simmer for 5 more minutes.
Put some tortilla chips into a ziploc bag and break into bite sizes pieces. The tortilla chips can be put into the bottom of the bowl and the soup served on top of them or they can be sprinkled on the top of the soup in the bowl (or both on the bottom and the top!)
Divide the soup among 4 bowls; top with tortilla chips (if you are adding them to the top), avocado and remaining cilantro. Serve each person a wedge of lime to squeeze into their soup (Don't skip this step! It makes a yummy difference!).
*An easy way to make shredded chicken is to place chicken breasts (even frozen ones) into the crockpot with a 1/2 cup of liquid (broth, water or salsa). Leave to cook on high for about 4 hours or on low for about 7-8 hours. When ready, remove from pot and pull apart with two forks.
* Or take boneless, skinless chicken breasts and drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper (or spice of your choice) and bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 20-25 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, shred with two forks.
*Or - for real convenience, buy a rotisserie chicken from your local grocer!
Gr8 Do-ahead Tip:
This soup can be made 1 - 2 days ahead of time up through Step 5. Cool and keep covered in the refrigerator. Warm it up on the stove-top or microwave and continue with step 6 and 7.