Savory Rosemary and Spice Nuts
The combination of fresh rosemary, cumin and cayenne pepper spices gives these Rosemary and Spice Nuts a depth of flavor that is irresistible.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 3 cups
- 3 cups raw nuts, I use walnuts, pecans, almonds and cashews.
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon granulated sugar, or 1 1/2 Tablespoons of packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
Preheat an oven to 300°F.
Measure the nuts into a medium sized bowl and mix with a large spoon.
Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan or small sauté pan over medium-low heat. Once warm add the chopped fresh rosemary and only cook for about a minute. Do not cook too long or the rosemary will burn.
Pour the rosemary olive oil over the nuts (yes, use a spatula to get all the oil and rosemary out of the pan and onto the nuts) and stir to coat the nuts.
In a separate small bowl, stir together the sugar, cumin, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and smoked paprika.
Add the spice mixture to the nuts and stir to coat all the nuts.
Pour the nuts onto a rimmed baking pan (again use a spatula and scrape the bowl to get all the oil and spices onto the nuts). Shake the pan until the nuts are in a single layer.
Bake for 10 minutes. Toss the nuts with a spatula and then shake the pan again to make sure the nuts are in a single layer and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- These nuts can be made ahead of time and kept in a sealed container for up to 4 days.
- I almost always double the recipe!
- Wrapped in a festive container, these make the perfect hostess gift!